Wednesday, December 28, 2005

My VI days

VI stands for Victoria Institution. It was established in 1893 to commemorate Queen Victoria, then queen of England. I spent five memorable years in VI from 1977 to 1981. As I went through my primary education in five instead of six years, I was normally the youngest in all classes that I attended in VI. I was an all-rounder. I did not make a mess in my studies and concentrated in every lesson. My teachers were wonderful and superb. Some of whom I still remember until today inculde Mr. Saharain Noordin, Mr. Jeyaratna and Mrs. Chong Hong Chong. I performed moderately well in my 1979 SRP form three public examinations, but made a success in my 1981 SPM form five examinations where I attained 7 distinctions. For the uninitiated, SPM is the equivalent of the British GCE ordinary level examinations. I was active in the Art Club where I last held the post as its pro-tem chairman. Art was something fun and I was quite creative, learning a lot and even managed to win VI's civics society cleanliness campaign poster making contest back in 1981. What I could not forget was organising the painting contest for the whole school. I was a Junior Librarian from 1979 until 1980 where I held the posts of honorary secretary, display chief and editor. To Prem, Zul, See Ye, Faizal and many others, many thanks for making my stint at VIJLB a truly memorable and successful tenure. Who would have expected that our selling of second hand books would hit four figures? The profits from the sale really made our year and helped 1980 to become VIJLB's golden year where many physical and management improvements were introduced. I was also active in Rodger house, which I represented in many activities. What I remember vividly is being involved in the inter-house English debates where I was the third speaker. We managed to make it to the finals, but lost. As for sports, I played a variety of them, which included soccer, rugby, basketball, swimming, roller-skating, hockey, athletics, but my favourite game was softball. I represented VI in softball from 1978 until 1981. I could not forget the long hours of traning on the huge VI green. It kept me in shape and my body became an average teenager's built after being a bit overweight in my earlier years. In 1981, I was in the VI softball first team which destoyed St. John's Institution, our arch-rival, in the final of the Kuala Lumpur finals. I played left-fielder, made some catches and even scored a few runs. How victory smelt sweet at that time! VI...you will always be in my mind. Thank you for making what I am today.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home


Visitor Map
Create your own visitor map!