Monday, January 09, 2006

Happy Hari Raya Aidil Adha!

Hari Raya Aidil Adha is also similarly known as Hari Raya Haji and Hari Raya Korban. It is celebrated by all Muslims throughout the world in the month of Zulhijjah. Hari Raya Aidil Adha falls on the tenth day of this month. "Korban" means sacrifice. Every year, approximately two million Muslims perform the Hajj pilgrimage in the Holy City of Makkah. They will complete a set of rituals dating back more than 1400 years ago. Muslims elsewhere slaughter animals like cows, goats and camels to uphold the spirit of Aidil Adha. The meat is then distributed to the poor and less fortunate.
In pursuit of worldly success, we have to sacrifice certain things in order to achieve what we aspire. The greater the odds and sacrifices, the greater the glory. I remember back in 1981 when I was preparing for my SPM examinations. Then I did away with parties, social life and steady girlfriends. Almost everyday during the last few months preceding the examinations, I burnt the midnight oil. I think I spent 3-4 hours daily doing revision and did away with viewing my favourite television shows. Also, I kept my sleeping hours to a bare minimum. In the end, I was extremely happy when I managed to score seven distinctions when the SPM results were announced. At that time, I was already in Bentleigh High School, Melbourne.
Sometimes, we need to sacrifice our feelings and attitudes, too. As an example, being selfish is a negative trait. To be unselfish can be rewarding in certain ways. Giving back to the society and donating to the poor and less fortunate certainly score high marks in God's books. As a Muslim, I sacrifice many things in order to achieve a place in Heaven. It is very tempting for all of us to do things that are seen as sins in the eye of God. As Heaven is for eternity, I have no qualms in these sacrifices. May God reward all of us for our sacrifices, whether in this world or in the
Hereafter.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home


Visitor Map
Create your own visitor map!