Monday, February 09, 2009

Memories Of Friendships With My Chinese Friends Part II

Margaret Chin Oi Yoke. This is the name of my immediate neighbour when I was living in Petaling Jaya, Selangor, with my family. I moved in to my family bungalow sometime in 1973. Previously, I was staying at the spacious government quarters located on Bukit Guillemard (now Bukit Ledang) in Lake Gardens (now Taman Tasik Perdana) in Kuala Lumpur, the capital of Malaysia. If I am not mistaken, Margaret moved into her home beside my bungalow a year later. Yes, she is a Chinese. What makes my friendship with her extra special is that we share the same birthday and birthyear - June 22, 1965. Every year, my family and I would not fail to visit her home during Chinese New Year, even when I moved to my present home in Pandan Indah in Ampang. However, as I took only five years to complete my primary school education, I was one year ahead of her in terms of schooling. She is very friendly and when we get the opportunity, we would engage in a conversation. Margaret completed her secondary education in the famous Assunta School, also in Petaling Jaya, while I had mine in Victoria Instution, a premier school. She later went on to further her studies in United States, eventually completing her Master's. I remember that she gave me a beautiful picture portrait for my wedding back in 1995. Now, both our bungalows had been sold. Mine had been turned to a SCUBA joint, while a restaurant cum gallery is what her former home became. She is now staying in Pulau Pinang (Penang) and is an aspiring author. I have not met her for ages, but, once in a while, when I remember her, I will call her mobile phone or send her an e-mail. Today is CHAP GOH MEI, the 15th day of the Chinese New Year. May all Malaysians, generally, and all Chinese, specifically, have a health, wealthy and prosperous Year of the Ox 2009.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home


Visitor Map
Create your own visitor map!