Saturday, November 28, 2009

Liverpool - Why, Oh, Why

Frankly-speaking, I'm only into my third year as a true blue Liverpool supporter. Yeah, every Reds fan know, last season (2008-2009) was one of our best in recent memory. Never mind that we finished runners-up to Manchester United by a few measly points, but the fact remains that Liverpool had not won the English Premiership for a long, long time. I do not know whether our faithful sponsors, Carlsberg, has anything to do with the failure, but deep down in every Liverpool fans' hearts, they would certainly love to see a change of fortunes with a change of jersey sponsors. Hmm, maybe The Standard Chartered Bank sponsorship starting next season will signal the start of good things to come. Again, my crystal ball fails me. Like many neutrals say, Liverpool should stop being over-reliant on Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torres. And I tend to agree, but not 100%. Rafa Benitez has been known to tinker with the Reds line-up ALL the time and it is about time that he sticks to a proven first eleven. Well (sigh), he IS the boss and I am very sure he knows more in football tactics than I will ever learn in multiple life times. Okay, Liverpool has lost five times this season and almost everyone has written them off from winning the title. But, when Rafa said that he aims for Liverpool to attain a top four finish, some label him as arrogant. Nah, he is not that. He is being a realist and I bet many will be eating their socks if Liverpool does that eventually. Remember the "arrogant" Arsene Wenger of Arsenal? Well, both Rafa and Wenger share similarities between them, that is, strong passionate belief in what their teams can possibly do. I am no Rafa, nor no Wenger. But, I am an ardent Liverpool fan. Like supporters of other English Premiership clubs, we badly want to win the Championship, no matter what. One advice for Rafa, better persuade your boss to splash out some cash when the January transfer window opens. With better luck and less injuries, I just know that Liverpool can do it. A Champions League without the Reds is almost unheard of, but it can become a bleak reality come 2010-2011. Come on, Liverpool! You can, you must and you will! You'll Never Walk Alone.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home


Visitor Map
Create your own visitor map!