Sunday, November 19, 2006

Awesome Federer Wins Masters Cup

World number one Roger Federer outclassed James Blake 6-0 6-3 6-4 to win the Masters Cup in Shanghai. Federer took just an hour and 37 minutes to claim his third title at the prestigious year-ending event, and his 12th from 17 tournaments this season.

The Swiss master also won it in 2003 and 2004, when it was held in Houston. He suffered a surprise defeat to David Nalbandian in last year's final, but mercilessly took apart Blake, who could only convert one of 11 break points. Federer's unbeaten run through the tournament saw him add $1.52m (£800,000) to his year's earnings, becoming the first player to earn more than $8m (£4.2m) in a season. It was his 29th win in a row, and his 92nd of a year in which he has won three Grand Slams and been beaten just five times. The only players to beat the 25-year-old this year were Rafael Nadal, who won four finals against him, and Britain's Andy Murray, who beat him in Cincinnati in August. Federer said he could not have played any better. "I even had to laugh at one stage at how well I was playing," he said. "I always came up with a great answer. I was in control all the time and pretty much everything I wanted to do, I did. "At this stage in my career I'm so happy with my game, it's come such a long way."


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home


Visitor Map
Create your own visitor map!