Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Torpedo Quits

Five-time Olympic champion Ian Thorpe said he has been his own greatest opponent in his swimming career. Thorpe, 24, announced at a packed press conference today in Sydney that he would quit swimming. "I'm actually going to discontinue my professional swimming career," he said. "I have to let swimming take a back seat at this stage." However, Thorpe said he hoped to remain involved in the swimming fraternity. "I intend to have a role with swimming still, I think that's important," he said. When asked if he was adamant about quitting, he told reporters: "I don't see myself competing again. I don't think it will happen. I won't rule it out but it's not going to happen." He said he hoped to attend the Beijing Olympics and would be trying to "scam" tickets "like everyone else".

Greatest swims

Regarded as one of the greatest swimmers of all time, Thorpe amassed 11 world titles, five Olympic gold medals and set 13 individual long-course world records. He named the 4x100 freestyle relay win at the 2000 Sydney Games as his favourite Olympic performance, and his 400m gold medal in Athens as his greatest Games swim. The best swim of his career was not an Olympic performance though, but a 200m short-course swim in Berlin in the lead-up to the 2004 Athens Games, he said. When asked about the great rivalries, he said: "My greatest opponent? I think it's been myself... It's been hard to overcome. He rated compatriot and fellow 1500m swimmer Grant Hackett and Dutch swimmer Pieter Van Den Hoogenband as his other big opponents. "I've enjoyed racing against my two biggest rivals, both Grant and Peter."
Thorpe said he made the decision to quit on Sunday shortly after deciding he would not compete at next year's world championships in Melbourne. "As of 2.53 on Sunday afternoon I decided I would not be swimming the world championships,'' Thorpe said. "I realised I had to prove other things and let swimming take a back seat at this stage. "I'm looking at a next phase, and that next phase means I am realigning the most important thing for me to do. "Swimming falls somewhere short, which is never the way it used to be.''

'Emotional' decision

Thorpe, who at times appeared on the verge of tears, said: "It's emotional because I see my entire swimming career flash before my eyes." At times he was more lighthearted, though, joking at one stage that he would be scouring the newspaper ads for a new job.

TAKEN FROM "THE AGE"
www.theage.com.au




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home


Visitor Map
Create your own visitor map!