Thursday, October 05, 2006

Miami Vice 2006

I will remember yesterday for a long time.

After a short business meeting with a lady friend of mine at Nikko Hotel, I suggested to her that the both of us catch a movie at KLCC's TGV. To my surprise, she agreed without much persuasion and I found myself forking out RM14.00 for the discounted tickets to watch "Miami Vice". My lady friend chose the movie and I did not say no. The last time I saw a movie in a cineplex was more than five years ago in Penang. At that time, I was attached to CETREE (Universiti Sains Malaysia) as a consultant and the last movie I watched was "Evolution" at the Kompleks Bukit Jambul in Bayan Baru, somewhere near my sister's home where I managed to put up during my four-month stay in Penang.

Having seen many crime dramas on the idiot box, especially in the '70s and '80s, "Miami Vice" was quite predictable in its story line. Collin Farrell stars as Detective James "Sonny" Crockett, while Oscar winner Jamie Foxx plays Detective Ricardo Tubbs in the big screen adaptation of the hit eighties cop drama. Do you still remember Jan Hammer's theme? Simply, fantastic!

In the movie, Crockett and Tubbs face a transnational criminal enterprise whose leader and chief financial officer is of Chinese/Cuban origin (played by Gong Li). She provides the romantic and steamy scenes, which was, expectedly, chopped off by the local censors. Anyway, the one scene that I did not anticipate at all was when the caravan was bombed via a cell phone, which caused Trudy, Tubb's love interest, to be seriously injured. The ending was pretty lame, though the climax lived up to my expectations.

The original series, created by Anthony Yerhovich and executive produced by Michael Mann, starred Don Johnson as Crockett and Philip Michael Thomas as Tubbs. This movie is definitely not for the faint-hearted. And the overall photography is excellent and quite memorable.

My rating : 4 STARS

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home


Visitor Map
Create your own visitor map!