Saturday, January 21, 2006

The Good Old "Comics" Days

Comics! I am sure that you have read many while you were in your younger days. I am no exception.
I started reading English comics in the seventies, while still in primary school. My first comic was one named BEANO. Read it? Who would forget Dennis the Menace? Soon I added Dandy, Beezer and Topper to my prerequisite reading. My English improved greatly as a result of reading these comics and I had hours of fun. My collection began to grow.
Then, when I entered secondary school, my comics' taste began to grow. I was buying comics like Tiger, Battle, 2000 A.D., Cracker and a soccer magazine called Shoot!
Tiger had stories like Roy of the Rovers, Nipper, Billy Dane, which all involved soccer and other sports like car racing, wrestling and others. Battle had, of course, war stories like D-Day Dawson, Rat Pack and others. I would be buying Tiger and Battle comics every week and I thoroughly enjoyed their stories. Then, 2000 A.D. came along. I was introduced to the character named Judge Dredd, which would be later be made into a movie.
Shoot! came into my life in 1975. I was watching the 1975 League Cup final between Aston Villa and Norwich City, when I made up my mind to support Norwich until today. Pity the Canaries lost the final. Shoot! had a lot of interesting stories about soccer stars, action pictures, statistics, quizzes and even free gifts. A few times Shoot! would publish pages of players or soccer facts that one would collect every week. And after it ended, you would have a mini-book! I do not know what happened to these mini-books that I had collected.
In the late seventies, the average price of these comics was RM1.00. I think I spent around RM5.00-RM7.00 on comics alone every week. However, when I stepped into the fifth form at V.I., I decided to do away with all my comic-buying spree and concentrated on the fifth form examinations called the Sijil Pelajaran Malaysia (SPM) which were held at the end of 1981.
I enjoyed my years of reading these comics and I guess it contributed greatly to improving my written and spoken English. Long live comics!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home


Visitor Map
Create your own visitor map!