Friday, January 20, 2006

My "Popkuiz" TV Experience

"Popkuiz" was a music gameshow which was produced by Malaysia's TV3 in the early nineties. I was fortunate enough to be one of its contestants.
When I first watched Popkuiz, a desire to take part in this programme came over me. A few days later, I managed to persuade my Chinese colleague, Julie Tan, to compete together with me as Popkuiz required pairs. I faxed our application to TV3 and a few days later, Aznil Nawawi, one of Popkuiz's co-host called. He did ask a few questions to test our knowledge of the current music scene. I managed to answer almost all questions. A few weeks later, TV3 called to inform us that both of us were selected to be contestants for Popkuiz. I was thrilled! Julie and I did make some preparations.
The recording day arrived. The studio was located at Jalan Liku, Bangsar, Kuala Lumpur. I came with my mother, brother and a friend. First, we were whisked away to the make-up room. Some powder was applied to my face, while Julie had her make-up touched-up. Then, we were led to the recording studio. The audience was half-full. The mood was quite lively. Nik Ramzi, the producer of the gameshow gave us a short briefing. There were two other pairs of contestants.
Then, the microphone was fixed to my body. Rina Khan was the other co-host. The recording then began a few moments later. Throughout the show, I managed to answer three questions. One of them was to guess the name of the song played. I still remember it. The song was "Antara Yang Manis", sung by Anita Sarawak. The first pair of female participants proved too strong for Julie and I. Aznil and Rina did their best in making the show fun. In the end, we managed to secure enough points to emerge as second-placed winners.
For our efforts, both of us received a cheque for RM300, a holiday package for three at Mar Vista Resort, Penang, an Ellese wristwatch worth RM500 and other gifts like CDs and t-shirts. I was very relieved when the whole thing was over. We later adjourned to the Royal Selangor Club for dinner, courtesy of my brother, Akbar. Thanks, Bang Long!
A few weeks later, the programme was aired over TV3. I just smiled as I watch myself appear on TV. Of course, I had told the whole world!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home


Visitor Map
Create your own visitor map!