Saturday, March 04, 2006

Fuel Hike In Malaysia

The Malaysian government recently made an unpopular decision to raise the fuel price by 30 cents. It represented almost a 20% increase over the previous price. The whole Malaysian population was shocked and taken aback by this move as the announcement was made without any prior warning. However, the government promised that the RM4.4 billion that would be saved would be put back to improve the transportation in the country.
As I do not own a car, I would not feel the impact of the raised fuel price immediately. I have depended on public transportation all my life and I purposely choose to stay near a LRT station for my convenience. Yes, I do pay for an above average rental, but the location of my home is very strategic because all amenities are available within walking distance.
However, I am starting to feel the pinch of the fuel hike. Yesterday, my wife went to the local pasar malam (night market). The price of a simple burger had went up by 20% to RM1.20! Malaysians are bracing for an increase of almost everything, but very sad to say that the level of wages earned had not increased correspondingly.
On my part, I will be more frugal in spending and try to change my lifestyle. However, there is only so much that we can do if we are still earning the same level of wages, while the prices of goods keep on spiralling. The Malaysian government has to look into this matter seriously and I know I have the backing of all suffering Malaysians!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home


Visitor Map
Create your own visitor map!